Accidental Death & Dismemberment - Available Only for ACTIVE MEMBERS
The Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Benefits provide a benefit to you or your beneficiary if you die as the result of bodily injuries that were sustained in an accident or if you sustained certain bodily Accidental Injuries as the result of an accident. You must be an Active Member to receive this benefit.
$25,000 will be paid to your beneficiary if you die as the direct and exclusive result of bodily Accidental Injuries sustained in an accident that occurs either on or off the job provided your death occurs within 13 weeks from the date of the accident.
You will receive the following if you incur one of the following injuries:
- $25,000 if you sustain bodily Accidental Injuries that directly and exclusively result in the loss of both hands, both feet, both eyes, one hand and one foot, one hand and one eye, or one foot and one eye within 13 weeks from the date of the accident that caused the bodily injuries.
- $12,500 if you sustain bodily Accidental Injuries that directly and exclusively result in the loss of one hand, one foot, or one eye within 13 weeks from the date of the accident that caused the bodily injuries.
- $6,250 if you sustain bodily Accidental Injuries that directly and exclusively result in the loss of the thumb and index finger of either hand within 13 weeks from the date of the accident that caused the bodily injuries.
If two or more covered losses result from the same accident, the Fund will pay the covered loss that provides the largest benefit.
In order for the Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit to be processed the Health and Benefit Fund must be notified of the event. Please contact the Health and Benefit Fund at 212-331-1800.
The Fund Office will send the named beneficiary documents that must be completed for the benefit to be processed.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefits cover occupational as well as off-the-job accidents. However, they do not cover death or injuries sustained under the following circumstances:
- War or any act incident to war, declared or undeclared;
- Operating, riding in, descending or falling from or with any kind of aircraft, except as a passenger, without duties of any kind, on a civilian aircraft flown by a licensed pilot operating within the scope of his or her license;
- Bodily or mental infirmity or disease, or medical or surgical treatment thereof;
- Service in the military, naval, air forces or other armed services of any country, combination of countries or international organization while such country, combination of countries or international organization is engaged in war, declared or undeclared; or
- Participating or engaged in a riot or criminal act of any kind.
Naming Your Beneficiary
Need to Find a Doctor, Dentist or Vision Specialist?
Are prescription medications covered by Empire?
No. The Fund provides Prescription Drug benefits through OptumRx. You should have a separate Prescription Drug ID card. For more information about your Prescription Drug Benefits, please see the Prescription Drug Benefits section of this site.